How to SHOP SMART – Do your homework!
With the onset of sale season and every other brand offering better or more lucrative offer than the other brand, for a shopper it becomes very overwhelming. Most of us are a victim of spending more than what we budget to spend or buying clothes which we don’t need or don’t flatter us.
Here are a few tips on what you need to do before you go out shopping:
1) Make a list: This is the first and the most important step when going out shopping in sale or otherwise. Open your wardrobe and evaluate each and every item you have and what you are missing. Make a 3 point priority list:
- Priority #1, put all the things which you cannot do without. For example: if you don’t have a basic white shirt or your black trousers have faded put the black trousers in your shopping list.
- Priority #2, should be items or things which are a luxury or you don’t need these things right away but might need in couple of months. For example: a branded bag which you had your eyes on since a long time or an ethnic outfit which you can wear in an upcoming function.
- Priority #3, doesn’t consist of a list but is just a budget allocation for things which might catch your eyes while shopping or for a piece of cloth which is in trend currently and you want to add it your wardrobe.
2) Do your research: The 2nd important stage is to do your research in advance. Thanks to eCommerce websites, now you can see the entire collection of a brand online. The first stage of the research will be to look into your wardrobe and see which brand you wear more often. Step 2 is to search the website of the brand for the items listed in your shopping list. This step will save a lot of time and energy when you are actually out shopping. The best way will be to go on one of the online shopping websites like Flipkart or Snapdeal and look for the items you have listed in your shopping list. Make a note of the brands which gives you options in those items, so while actually shopping you will only enter into the stores selling the stuff you need and not waste time searching for things.
3) Measure yourself and understand size chart: Why this step is important because nowadays market is flooded with various brand from all over the world and they all follow different size charts. So when you are at home, take a measuring tape and measure yourself at chest, waist and hips in inches as well as centimeters. There are plenty of websites which will help you find out your size, or convert them to the sizes of various countries. Remember your vitals or just take a snapshot of the same. This will help you in finding right size then getting lost in the world of S,M,L,XL or 4,6,8,10 or 32, 34, 36 etc. Same goes for shoe size.
You can refer the following websites for size conversions and measurements:
- Link 1: http://www.onlineconversion.com/clothing_womens.htm
- Link 2: http://www.asos.com/infopages/SizeGuide/pgesizechartMan.aspx?r=2
- Link 3: http://www.asos.com/infopages/SizeGuide/pgesizechart.aspx
This is the first blog in our shop smart series. In the next blog we will talk about how to allocate budget before shopping.
Sonia Dubey | Chief Image Consultant
- Like every year, we predicted fashion trends fo...
- He needs no introduction, especially after his ...
- Depression can happen to anyone, young – old, r...
- Our lives are so competitive that we look for m...
- It’s the time of the year again where wedding b...